Monday, August 3, 2009

See the Need, Be the Change!

This week's inspiration doesn't come from a biography or a great leadership book. It comes from a t-shirt I recently saw at the Easton Mall in Columbus, OH. I was sitting in a book store coffee shop waiting on my wife to finish shopping (where I've spent about two of my twenty years of marriage! Two more I've spent waiting for her outside a ladies bathroom!). Anyway, sitting at a table close by was a woman wearing a black t-shirt with bold block lettering that spelled "Change Agent." Of course, this got my attention. Trying not to stare, I finally made out the small print beneath this title" "See the Need, Be the Change!" I loved it!

This t-shirt reminded me of one of my favorite quotes. Arun Gandhi has quoted his grandfather, change freak Mahatma Gandhi, as stating "We must become the change we want to see." How do we do this? We see the need, and be the change! So often we are tempted to wait for others to act. We complain about the world in which we find ourselves, and wish "somebody" would do something, but we feel powerless to make a difference. So we close our eyes to the need. We refuse to be the change.

The message this week is simple: Resolve this week to look carefully around you for opportunities for change that can make a difference. Then resolve, in at least one instance, to be the change that is needed. Don't underestimate the change this will require. It may require you to perform an act of service that sacrifices your dignity, that requires humility that is uncomfortable. Or it may require the courage to speak up for others who cannot. It may require you share an idea at the risk that it may be laughed at or rejected. Most of all, it will require action. Not talk. Not criticism or complaining. Action. Do something. Take a risk, and make a difference. Then take a moment to share with us what you resolved by leaving a comment to this post. Who knows, you may become the change you've wanted to see for so very long!

1 comment:

The Change Freak said...

Well, with the "unbelievable" response to this post I thought I would answer my own challenge. My family and I have seen the need: the need to be part of a Biblical, God Glorifying church body in our new home. A church body that recognizes the sovereign grace of our great God, honors the name of Jesus, and seeks to live transformed lives through God's grace and for His glory. We are also seeking to be the change: we have found a young church plant in Lewis Center, Ohio that is seeking to be that kind of church. It is a small, young congregation with few programs and many needs. And it is something we are sensing we can be a part of that is bigger than ourselves, something that might just change the world (or at least our family and our new community). By the way, the church is Northpointe Baptist (www.northpointebaptist.org).